Uporabniški avatar
andersley
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kraj: Ptuj, Slovenia
Kontakt:

Track Cleaning Wagon

Odgovor Napisal/-a andersley »

Just bought an Aztec track cleaning car, arrived from the USA today. I immediately removed the American body shell and fitted the works into a large SBB 4-wheel van which I had on the layout.

Full picture-story: http://www.andersley.co.uk/trackcleaner.html

Start:
Slika

End:
Slika
mr.who00
Vajenec
Vajenec

Re: Track Cleaning Wagon

Odgovor Napisal/-a mr.who00 »

andersley napisal/-a:Just bought an Aztec track cleaning car, arrived from the USA today. I immediately removed the American body shell and fitted the works into a large SBB 4-wheel van which I had on the layout.

Full picture-story: http://www.andersley.co.uk/trackcleaner.html

Start:
Slika

End:
Slika

Nice remaking of a wagon. I hope it is useful :D
Uporabniški avatar
bungee-
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I

Odgovor Napisal/-a bungee- »

@andersley please describe how does this cleaning car cleand tracks. I am looking at the pics, but I don't get it. Thanks for your time. BTW: Nice remake =D>
Uporabniški avatar
andersley
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kontakt:

The rollers are a rubber like material, and quite heavy. They are impregnated with abrasive material, like a hand held track cleaning rubber.

They are set at a slight angle to the track, and as they roll along they exert a slight scrubbing action to the rail surfaces. In other words they slip slighly on the railheads. So as they pass over the track they slowly clean it. The maker recommends about eight passes with the track cleaner to clean the rails. But if it is run regularly, no further hand claning is neccessary.

I used one of these cars on my American N scale layout several years ago and it worked very well. I needed it as I had four very long storage tracks under the main baseboards which could not easily be reached for cleaning.
Gorchi
Kontrolni
Kontrolni
Kraj: Cerklje na Gorenjskem

Odgovor Napisal/-a Gorchi »

Interesting remodelling Alan! Speaking of a cleaning wagon, do You or any of Your friends do have some experience with such wagons? On a similar modelling forum male željeznice one guy has been asking about the experience with track cleaning wagons. And whilst searching for such wagons around, there were some posts on german forum mentioning the Dapol wagon which is not so expensive comparing to the Lux Modellbau wagon. Btw, they have also a vacuum cleaner wagon too. Any thoughts?
Goran
Uporabniški avatar
andersley
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kontakt:

I think the Dapol wagon is N scale. The Modellbau one looks complicated, but should be effective, also the vacuum cleaner one, but I just use a household vacuum cleaner with flexible tube!

The one I have can also be used with absorbent rollers which are used with a solvent to remove greasy deposits. This type is more effective for very dirty track, but should not be needed if the dry cleaning rollers are used regularly.

The Aztec site shows the various combinations. http://www.aztectrains.com/pages/TrackClean-HO.html
Uporabniški avatar
bungee-
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I

Odgovor Napisal/-a bungee- »

Alan thank you for the answer. From the pics it isn't easy to figure out the angle.
Thanks again.
Uporabniški avatar
andersley
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kontakt:

I will take a photo of the underside to see if that shows the angle of the rollers.

I may also make some of the rollers which use a liquid cleaner. Just need turning from brass on my lathe then wrapping with a cleaning cloth. The track is quite dirty as it has been used very little whilst other work on the layout is underway, so maybe an initial clean with liquid may be a good idea.
Uporabniški avatar
andersley
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kontakt:

Underside shows the angle of the rollers.

Slika
Odgovori