Uporabniški avatar
andersley
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kraj: Ptuj, Slovenia
Kontakt:

Dapol Powered Track Cleaner

Odgovor Napisal/-a andersley »

After hearing good reports of this track cleaner, and as I have catenary which makes cleaning by hand difficult, I purchased one.

The working was very intermittent, then it refused to work at all, so I returned it to the dealer. The replacement was not much better and only seemed to work on clean track!! Not good for a track cleaner! :evil:

Investigations seemed to indicate poor current collection, so I soldered additional pick up wires to the bogies - this improved it a little, but the major improvement was made by polishing the chemically blackened wheel treads. Now they are shiny, the current collection is excellent. The original arrangement of springs rubbing on a plate is frankly pathetic! :?

The cleaner as received.
Slika

Slika

This shows it set up for vacuum cleaning, also shows the additional collector wires and the polished wheel treads.
Slika

The vacuum is effective as shown below.
Slika

This shows the cleaner fitted with the rotating polishing head, and the abrasive head alongside (I used this first). It also shows the foam strip which spreads cleaning fluid onto the rails, then polished by the rotating mop.
Slika

The cleaning heads are fitted with a very light spring which gives good contact with the track without undue pressure.
Slika

The idea is very good, but the build quality could be better and for a unit retailing at £60 (66 euro) - although I got mine at £51 (56 euro), the user should not have to do basic modifications to make it work properly! However, now it is working well I should be able to keep my tracks clean much more easily. :D

Now to change that horrible colour! It will be painted grey and yellow and lettered with SZ logo and lettering.
Gorchi
Kontrolni
Kontrolni
Kraj: Cerklje na Gorenjskem

Re: Dapol Powered Track Cleaner

Odgovor Napisal/-a Gorchi »

Now I understand why odther manufacturers use additional battery instead of pick up connectors from the car itself although I am not in fond of having additional battery :? Alan, You use DCC?
And about that weird colour - I totaly agree with You, yellow would be much better (Lux modelleisenbahn use it), maybe for Slovenian variant some medium green would be more suitable or gray with yellow stripes as on old/new emergency train :D
Goran
Uporabniški avatar
andersley
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kontakt:

Goran, yes, I use DCC. The car will operate on DC, but you have to wach the voltage as the internal motor is only 9V. I gave my decoder an address of 100, but later when I tried to use it there was no response. It had reverted to default 3! So I will now leave it on 3. I call up the cleaner and start it running, then go to the locomotive to pull or push it around the layout. There is a push button on/off switch on the car to turn it off without having to stop it using the controller. I did almost take the easy way out and just run it off a 9V battery in the 'vacuum cleaner collection box'.

I intend painting it similar to this rescue/workshop car.
Slika
Gorchi
Kontrolni
Kontrolni

I thought You have DCC which makes Your problems with pick ups even more scary :) I assumed that on DCC tracks getting the power from the track should pose less problems... How had the battery survived its position along with the dust?
Goran
sebastiant
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kraj: Ljubljana

Odgovor Napisal/-a sebastiant »

Sebastian
IBANEZ15
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kraj: Zabukovica

Odgovor Napisal/-a IBANEZ15 »

Dobra stvar... samo cena #-o . Bomo še kar na roke drgnil :lol: .
LP
ZLATKO
Gorchi
Kontrolni
Kontrolni

Tale USA vagonček ima pa res malce bolj zasoljeno ceno ampak kot piše je iz medenine, ta pa le ni poceni. Vseeno pa kakor vidim, DAPOLov vagonček ima svoj motorček za drgnjenje tračnic plus sesalec, pri tem vagončku pa ne vidim nič takega, zgolj "kemično" čiščenje... Ima mimogrede kdo pregrešno drag LUX Modellbau čistilni vagon, kako se kaj oni obnese? To je tole čudo: http://cgi.ebay.de/LUX-8811M-Gleisstaub ... 5ad7bdbfdc
Goran
mmatja
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kraj: Lendava

Odgovor Napisal/-a mmatja »

IBANEZ15 napisal/-a:
Dobra stvar... samo cena #-o . Bomo še kar na roke drgnil :lol: .
Pa ne vem če je tale zadeva bolj učinkovita od tistega, kar piše v podkrepljenem tekstu... :wink:
Uporabniški avatar
andersley
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kontakt:

I understand that the USA cleaner is quite effective, but it is only a fluid dispensing/wiping type (and very expensive!) A track cleaner does not really need to be made in brass. :roll:

At least the Dapol one (also sold in the USA by Atlas) is vacuum and wet and dry cleaning all in one unit.
kit

Odgovor Napisal/-a kit »

Gorchi napisal/-a:Ima mimogrede kdo pregrešno drag LUX Modellbau čistilni vagon, kako se kaj oni obnese?
A misliš ta dva LUX čistilna vagona :D
Pa še čistilni in sesalni vagon pri meni :wink:

Slika

LUX Modellbau izdeluje praktično za vsa merila, sisteme in namene najrazličnejše čistilne naprave. Iz lastnih izkušenj lahko napišem, da je LUX zanesljiv in natančen. Lahko se pa izbira med navadnim ali digitalnim krmiljenjem, ter med krtačnim ali brezkrtačnim pogonom na kar pa vse vpliva na končno ceno. Letos je bil LUX na sejmu v Nürnbergu poleg ACME štanta in kdor je bil na sejmu se je na LUX Modellbau štantu lahko pošteno napasel in videl kaj vse imajo v ponudbi, pa še kaj se je dalo vprašat :wink:
Kdor nima Lux čistilnih vagonov jih razumem, da se jim zdijo dragi, saj zato jih pa nimajo :lol:
Ampak, ko reskiraš nekaj denarja tudi za takšno "pridobitev" si pa zmagal nad prahom in nečistočo na tirih.
No bom pa drugače napisal, kaj je metla in sesalec v stanovanju :?: isto, kot LUX "orodja" na maketi.
kasti
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I

Odgovor Napisal/-a kasti »

In zakaj čiščenje s tekočino oz. alkoholom ni v redu. Lastnik lepe makete in mnogih samoizdelanih modelov v H0 svojo maketo čisti že 30 let z čistilnim vagonov od Kleinbahna in proga je v odlični kondiciji. Vožnja pa brez cukanja gladka super.Tudi sam čistim le z alkoholom pa je vse ok. Mogoče je za ene to preveč ceneno ali preprosto. In razliko v ceni od Kleinbahna in kateregakoli drugega modela investiraš v kakšen dober model.
lp
kasti
Uporabniški avatar
andersley
Strojevodja I
Strojevodja I
Kontakt:

In my Dapol cleaner I use the fluid supplied by them, so assume it is fine for their machine. :)
Odgovori